Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cedar Point/Ultimate updates

Some really cool stuff going on today... First, Brian, Sam, and I woke up super-early to make our way to Sandusky, OH, home of Cedar Point. I've been hearing about Cedar Point since an ex-girlfriend of mine from Ohio raved about it while I was doing my undergrad at Oklahoma, and, recently, I've had to hear it from two roommates from Ohio and Sam. Today, I finally got to figure things out for myself.

The prices were pretty steep, $44 for a full day, and an extra $30 if you want to take part in the water portion... We chose to stick to the coasters and paid our fees. First ride up, the Top Thrill Dragster. This thing gets up to 125 mph in a matter of seconds, and vaults you over this huge vertical climb. I haven't always been in love with coasters, but "The Dragster," as I'm told it's called, was smooth as silk. I think I giggled my way to the pinnacle of the climb, and had a big grin walking out of the gate. A good way to start the day.

I'm not going to go ride-by-ride, but I really enjoyed Millenium Force, Magnum, Raptor, and the Mantis. However, Maverick was by far the best of the bunch. The only two issues I had with the park were that:
1). I couldn't find a single smoked turkey leg in the park, and
2). Cedar Point (and Fiesta Texas, for that matter) just needs to get rid of the damn wooden coasters. I don't know what got into me, but I followed sam right through the turnstiles and into my seat on the Mean Streak. Man, wasn't it great that we didn't have to wait in line after waiting nearly two hours for Maverick? Of course it was nice to skip a line, but I'll be damned if I ever screw up like that again. Despite thinking that Mean Streak looked much more tame than The Rattler, I had no doubt about it being a wooden coaster. Did I think about why that line was so short? No. Or, how much I hated myself the last time I rode The Rattler (The very last time)? Nope... But, thanks to ancient coaster technology, I do remember how it feels to willingly destroy your body just to give something an undeserving second chance.

Without those last two points, I had a lot of fun.

In other news, I was able to keep up with Day 1 of college nats on Twitter today. Search the #upanats "hashtag," as I found it was called today, and you'll get all sorts of in-game commentary. Very cool stuff. Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend, I'm off to join the Tweet-happy Ultimate community tomorrow!

No comments: