Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Skylander VII: Day Two

CHUMPionship bracket... There was almost a mix-up that put us against VA Tech to start the day, but I don't think RIT would've appreciated us playing that game for them.

Vs. Mercyhurst
I was well informed about the “abilities” of this Mercyhurst team before we came into this game. Jarnail mentioned something about their vertical stack remaining intact when playing against zone defense so I planned on exploiting that as best I could. They were obviously not going to be a match for us so I decided to sit this one out. Turns out I had another thing coming. A team that probably didn’t score more than 3 points a game all day Saturday, and had a goal of 4 points for our game was on top 4-1 before I could call time out to ream our line. So, time out was called, I brought the hammer down with various levels of profanity, and we pulled back into this game. It was never pretty, but we were able to mix in all of our rookies for a bunch of playing time so I guess there were a few benefits.

Highlight: SeƱor Banjo’s Nightclub Mark. Stills scoring 5 in the first half before I took him out of the game.
Lowlight: “Yo Catholic, was that what you call a Callahan?!?” Me: “Yeah, that’s a Callahan.” M-Hurst: “So, is that worth 2 points or is it still just 1?”
12-8 Bad Habit

Vs. George Mason
I always look forward to games against our Sectional rival. I’d say it’s even more exciting now that I know one of their captains. After “playing” all summer with Jarnail it seems like we have built a friendly little rivalry between Massacre and Bad Habit. They took us down handily 15-5 earlier this Fall at a round robin they hosted, but we were not to be denied today. After going down early 3-1 I felt like I should probably warm up and jump in the game. Jarnail strongly urged against it, but I felt like we should probably win this game if we were to win any today. We managed to pull a few points out and began to trade once we were tied up. There was a premature soft cap call when someone mistook the women’s air horn for one of ours, but we looked to be in control of the game at that point. We were up 7-5 after the cap and ran away with the last 2 points of the game to close it out. Again, a spirited and entertaining game.

Highlight: Probably Jim’s put to me in the endzone. That thing just floated out in front of me and away from my defender for an easy score. Well, that, or the time my pull went off Jarnail’s brother’s foot as he was trying to get out of the way. He stepped back disappointed, then tried to act like it didn’t hit him….Lol, woopsies! Or, was it Peter’s intense defense? I don’t know, but I think this was one of our best played games this weekend.
Lowlight: Some interesting marking which really killed our man defense. Luckily we were able to generate enough turns in zone to win.
9-5 Bad Habit

Vs. Slippery Rock
Not much to say here. Good offense capped with terrible decision making at the goal line. This is the way you play when you don’t think you can win games. You don’t trust in your dumps and swing the disc… Instead there is one player who thinks it is their turn to “step up,” and they end up taking points away from us. We can really learn from our lack of patience in this game.

Highlight: We played a decent game of Bear/Ninja/Cowboy for pull…
Lowlight: Ranjo’s huge block that just got mac’d back into the offensive player’s hands for the score. That about summed up the last game of the tourney.
15-3 Rock

No comments: