Thursday, October 25, 2007

If I were to be a novelist, who would I be?

Dave took part in a novel-writing event, or actually a complete month, recently (it was at least a year ago) in which each participant was charged with writing a 175pg. novel (50,000 words) during the month of November. All things equal, that's 1667 words per day. I'm pretty sure I 'bs' my way through 1700 words worth of emails in a day, but could I put together that many words devoted to the same coherant thought?

Of course I would worry about a few things...
-At what point would I abandon the story and devote entire plot lines to perfecting my latest zone defense?
-How many times can I write a 7-man defensive line in the margins before I finally accept that this obsession of mine really is unhealthy?
-Do I really have time to write 1667 words a day without neglecting my work?

All things to consider. Maybe I'll try it, I think I could enjoy the challenge and maybe I'd surprise myself...

You know I'm just doing this to procrastinate anyway, why not take it to the limit?

2 comments:

David said...

If it would help, the novel could include your latest zone defenses.

I remain undecided on whether I will be making the attempt this year.

John said...

This seems like fun. I have something I've been meaning to do. It also seems tough. Maybe I'll give it a try.