Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More Nutrition/BMR

OK, so I found a great set of 10 rules to live by as far as diet is concerned. They are linked here:

Nutrition 101 - Part 1
Nutrition 101 - Part 2

Also, something I've never considered, but makes a lot sense... For those who count calories, normally it's based on your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), or how much your body burns at rest. This number is calculated by converting your weight (in Lbs.) to Kilograms by multiplying by .45 or dividing by 2.2, then multiplying by 24. The result is your BMR.

The thing I haven't thought about is the number we are using... In an article by Rodney Gaines, PhD, CSCS, called Periodized Nutrition for Strength and Power Athletic Performance, he points out the error. Most people use their total weight, fat and all. Is it really necessary to eat those extra calories to support our fat mass?!?

I'm around 195 with a body fat probably in the 12-15% range. That means I have somewhere between 23-29 pounds of fat on me! I don't want to support that! Using the calculations (I'll use the mean here):

195*13.5%=26.325 lbs.
That's ~169*.45=76.05*24=1825.20 Cals

So, my lean mass burns ~1825 calories at rest.

To further that, you need either 1.3 times your BMR for low activity, 1.4 for moderate activity, or 1.5 for high activity.

Consider that when you're counting those cals!

No comments: