Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Circuit Training

I recently began hitting the circuits hard after my workouts and I'm loving it! There are a bunch of different ways to work a circuit, but I've fallen to setting a time limit for myself and doing quick sets of 10 of 8-10 exercises for that time. Here's a sample of the last workout:

- Step up w/reverse lunge (Scroll down about halfway for the video/explanation)
- Back Extension (On Roman Chair w/25lbs.)
- Dips
- Squat (135lbs.)
- Floor Wipers
- Pullovers w/triceps extension (55lbs.)
- Deadlift w/shrug (90lbs.)
- 1 arm kettlebell swings (35lbs.)
- Push Up

We just repeated the whole thing as many times as possible in 30 minutes. I'm limited a bit in the number of exercises we can do because of space and ceiling issues (the basement has 8 foot ceilings!), but I think we do a good job of hitting most major muscle groups and getting a good sweat while we do it.

Here's the set up I currently have to mix up the routine...
- Bench Press
- Stand-alone adjustable bench (incline, flat, decline)
- Roman Chair
- Dip Stand
- Pull Up Bar
- EZ Curl Bar
- Squat Rack
- 5-50lbs. dumbbells in pairs/increments of 5lbs.
- 1-35 lbs. kettlebell
- 6 and 8 lbs. medicine balls
- Swiss Ball

We'll keep mixing up the circuit exercises, but I think I'm going to make this a staple in my routine. I'm thinking once Ultimate season slows down it's going to be 2 leg days, 1 upper body day, and a circuit day where I either do a 30 minute or 2-20 minute circuits. Last time I got into working out I sort of fell off after 6 months and I don't intend to do it this time...

No comments: