Wednesday, July 23, 2008

O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A


Back in OK last weekend for a friend's wedding... It was great! A little hot, but it was a good time overall. Megan and I arrived late Friday night and planned to crash at a friend from college's house all weekend. We took some time to get caught up on things, concerning medical school and Shiner, before hitting the sack Friday night.

Saturday was originally planned to be a relaxing day where we could hang out with the bride-to-be and my girlfriend could meet a few friends from the Bible Belt, but it didn't exactly end up that way... After having a relaxing cookout with a little swimming, a few good burgers, and testing my hand at extermination, the kids arrived. Some of the relatives had come into town and brought triplets with them! As I'm hanging out in the pool, one of these little rascals jumps on my back... We get around to taking turns tossing them across the pool; assuming at some point they'll get tired of us and find something else to do, but that was not the case. About 2 hours of tossing kids, running for my life, and scraping up my feet on the bottom of the pool I have found the secret to birth control. Place any adult who thinks they want to be a parent into a pool, unleash the triplets, and goodbye sweet dreams of toddlers and baby formula. I think I would feel safer in MMA...

Sunday was much more relaxing... Megan and I visited the OU campus and I got a chance to see all the improvements they're making to my alma mater, while Megan got a chance to see how impressive a state university can be. There are big things going on in Oklahoma. We made a quick run by the music studio (where I spent most of my time) and I was surprised to find I still knew someone on campus! After chatting for a while we were running a little late for the wedding and took off back to the car to get out to the lakeside chapel. The wedding was fairly quick and quiet, but it was a beautiful setting and the chapel was super-cool; with huge glass windows running from the floor to the ceiling looking out into a nice nature setting. It was great to see the parents and newly married couple before heading back into Norman for a visit to campus corner. We hit a local favorite, The Library (mainly a favorite so I could tell people I was going to "The Library"), and had a few drinks with new and old friends before deciding we would try and catch a late showing of The Dark Knight. Unlucky there, but the night was still a success.

Monday morning was our chance, so Megan and I headed to Bricktown early to see The Dark Knight (it was pretty impressive) before moving on to Coach's Restaurant in the outfield of the RedHawks ballpark for lunch. The sirloin steak, fried okra, and beer-batter fries were great! We even managed to catch a bit of the game that was going on before high-tailing out of there to catch our plane back to D.C.

All-in-all a great weekend.

1 comment:

John said...

For the record, your references are ridiculous and yes, you will be seeing me at Wildwood this weekend!