Thursday, April 3, 2008

The BoDeans

As seen through the lyrics of “Shake Those Windows” by Athlete

“Songs and songs and beats and rhymes in life”

As a last-minute Wednesday surprise I managed to obtain 2 tickets to the BoDeans for Megan and myself at the 9:30 Club. I’ve been listening to these guys since 2002, but they have been around FOREVER. They were founded in 1983 (a year after I was born!) in Waukesha, Wisconsin and they’ve released 10+ albums in their time. Their heyday was in the late 1980s when they released Closer to Free, which was popularized as the theme song for Party of Five. An interesting tidbit was that in 1987 the Rolling Stone voted them the Best New American Band, but they never managed more than a loyal cult following throughout their careers.

“Sometimes my stereo and in my aching bones”

All day I waited for the concert. I mean, I was pretty excited, but this day had been a little different. I woke up early, 8am, to try to sort through the clutter of our roster for an upcoming tournament and ensure that all of our players were eligible, and official members of Ultimate’s governing body, the Ultimate Player’s Assocation. I didn’t actually buy my tickets until lunchtime Wednesday, so there was a fair bit of stress with the possibility that this may be a sold out concert, as well as just the struggle of driving through D.C. I had a less-than-healthy meal at McDonald’s and rushed back to work after procuring a pair to the show. There were a few other time management issues (such as a trip to FedEx to overnight the roster info as well as some housing complications), but we managed to arrive to the show prior to the BoDean’s entrance.

“In two seconds the beat was recognized”

I can’t say that I’ve heard the first song the BoDeans played tonight, but that familiar sound of Sammy’s voice just smoothed over the stress of the day as I began to relive all the hours I spent listening to these guys a few years ago. From then on I recalled lyrics of just about every song they played, minus a few on the newest CD. Feed the Fire, Closer to Free, Naked, Idaho, Good Things, Still the Night, Texas Ride Song, Far, Far Away from my Heart, True Devotion….

“And all the old-school heads, nodded back in time…
And though we just met I've known you all my life”

Megan and I found ourselves surrounded with middle-aged adults fresh off of work and still sporting Blackberry’s and ties as well as old-school rockers with long hair and flavor-savers. Mom-jeans were prevalent as well as those who just came to reminisce and take a moment from the daily grind. “I can’t believe I’m out so late on a Wednesday” said one, and another man was seen pulling beer bottles from his cargos… He wanted to stand near the front so he loaded up with 6 beers at the beginning of the show and kept them in his utilitarian pants for later.

“Just let the record play and bring it back again
You can't appreciate what we were into then”

At the end of the show we proved that we too could rock with the best of the o-l-d crowd. Megan danced, I smiled and sang along; the BoDeans are still alive and kicking. Although we were the youngest in the crowd, I’m sure their catchy rock tunes could last forever. It’s only a matter of time before the children of the patrons last night sneak a listen to their parent’s old CDs/cassettes… As for me, I can’t wait to get their newest CD!

As we were leaving Megan overheard one woman say to another “I can’t believe I’m seeing these guys again! Remember when we saw them 20 years ago?” Great stuff.

“Just let yourself go, just let yourself go”

No comments: