Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Progression

This is what it's all about. Life, at it's most basic, is just that: progression. You are born, learn to crawl, walk, talk, run, read, write, etc. It's progression. We all start small and work our way to more and more difficult tasks. We make these things easy, and then we move forward again. How am I able to recite the alphabet forwards and backwards or read a book? Progression. I started with A-B-C, worked my way to A-G, and eventually A-Z. We did it every day for almost a full year in school until A-Z was no longer a challenge. We then progressed to writing these letters, reading them in words, and learning their meanings. With the number of words in the English language progression is still a possibility.

If we have all learned to continually progress the mind, why do we not insist on putting our bodies through the same rigor? Our body is the vessel with which our mind resides, yet most do nothing to progress that body.

Fitness is an extension of this, yet many of us get it wrong. When it comes to fitness, progression is setting goals and working diligently to achieve them. So many people "work out" in the gym, but there are only a few who "train."

Here's what I mean... Say you want to lose some weight, but you aren't willing to put in some time to understand weight loss or weight training. You head to the gym and find yourself on a treadmill for 30 minutes each day, maybe do some "abs," and throw in a few curls for good measure. Sure, sometimes you hit the machines and do a few chest presses, but you're mostly sticking to what's comfortable for you. True, you may be in the gym 4-6 times a week on a regular schedule, but what are you accomplishing?

The short answer is pretty much nothing. Your body is as resilient a mechanism as you'll find. It realizes that you've changed its schedule and it will adjust its functions to accommodate for the minor changes you've made, and become more efficient at them. Your body now works less doing the same amount of work, and in a few short weeks you will no longer benefit from your "work out." Sure, that's super-cool that the body can manage stress so brilliantly, but your left sitting on 20% body fat and now you're wasting 4-6 hours a week at the gym!

The educated lifter hits the gym with a plan. Goals are set and benchmarks are in place before they begin a training cycle. These guys/girls know what they can do and know what they want to do. It could be weight loss, weight gain, increased speed, or increased strength, but it all comes with a plan. Each workout is progressively more difficult than the next. The weight loss trainee plans shorter and shorter rest periods for their high intensity interval sessions; the weight gainer lifts heavier weights each week and packs on the calories; the speed trainee works acceleration over 10 yards one workout and strength-speed the next; and when looking for increased strength the trainee works a combination of low repetitions with long rest periods and includes assistance work to bring up weaker points in their range of motion. Each of these trainees has a plan with a designated goal, and comes into the gym prepared to progress their bodies closer towards that goal each day.

If you're one of those who just "works out" then you need to quickly re-evaluate your situation. Sure, you may have seen some quick gains right off the bat, but they never last if you stick with what's comfortable for you. If gains begin to plateau or, even worse, you begin to put the weight back on you need to have a plan. So, get out your pen and paper and set yourself some difficult, but achievable, goals. Now that you've got some idea of what you want, ask an expert how best to accomplish your goals. And, remember, at the end of the day you need to "keep the goal the goal." Dan John spoke those wise words and they ring true. Make sure all of your effort is put towards your goal, and only stop when you meet that goal. Once you're there you can set another, because it's all about progression.

6 comments:

Kirk said...

Alan,

I really enjoyed reading this post. It got me thinking about my own goal, or better yet, trying to decide exactly what that goal is. Notice I used the word goal and goals. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you’ll agree that it’s important to establish one goal, achieve it, and then move on to the next one. To be honest, I’m not sure what my one goal is. I have entertained the idea of someday competing in a bodybuilding competition, but I’m not sure that in itself is a goal either.

All this talk of establishing a goal reminds me of a challenge I had with an old weight-lifting buddy a few years ago. Our training schedule consisted of a typical 4 or 5 day muscle group split workout similar to what I do today (I know you’ve seen my workouts and you don’t think they are completely effective, but bear with me). We were nearly equal in strength and our max bench press weight was somewhere between 275 and 285 depending on whether the moon was waxing or waning at the time. One day in September I said "let’s set a goal of benching 300lbs by the end of the year" and we both agreed to the challenge. From that day on, we focused on achieving that one goal. We still training arms, legs, and back with great enthusiasm, but every chest day was geared toward the goal: bench pressing 300lbs by December 31. Sometimes we trained heavy, sometimes light, and sometimes we would load the bar up with 315lbs and lift it off the hooks just to see how it felt. Well I’m happy to say that on December 24 (my birthday) of that year I bench pressed 300lbs for a single rep. I accomplished my goal and I was thrilled! The funny (sad) thing is… I can’t recall setting a similar goal for myself since that day. I think it’s time for me to do some serious “goal searching”. Thanks for listening and thanks for the great post!

Kirk

AlanJ40 said...

Thanks, Kirk. I would never say that your training does not fit your goal. That's been the blueprint for bodybuilding for years, so I don't see why anybody should change it. Just looking at old pics of Arnold is enough to prove its worth in that field!

I came across this quote on my Good Earth tea bags (yup, they put quotes on the string tags of each bag) that rings true with what Dan John is saying:

"Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom." Hugo De Groot (1583 - 1645)

So, basically, focusing on your goal is integral to reaching your goal (at the expense of everything else, or at least at the expense of other pieces of your life/facets of your training).

Unknown said...

If bodybuilding is where your passion is, train like a bodybuilder. An effective workout isn't one that is geared toward athleticism, bodybuilding, power lifting, etc. An effective workout is one that's designed specifically to help you get one step closer to reaching YOUR goal whatever it is. Your program shouldn't ever be considered ineffective as long as the intensity is there and you've found the best way to train for what you desire (through scientific research and experimentation.) Now of course us skinny guys will laugh and call you a meathead, and i'm sure you will laugh and call us twigs, but it is what it is! Just make sure you have a purpose and know what to do to get there.

Kirk said...

Alan,

After saying “you don’t think my workouts are completely effective” I thought about it (and read your reply) and thought I should clarify what I meant by that. You and I have commented and e-mailed back and forth and I think you have a pretty good idea of what I’m trying to accomplish with my training. From some of what you’ve told me, I get the feeling that you believe I could do better. Most of my weight-lifting knowledge comes from my experience in the gym and from workouts posted on-line and in magazines. I’ve never been real big into the “scientific” aspect of bodybuilding. That’s one of the things I find refreshing about the content you (and some of your side-bar links) provide. I know that my training style works and if you saw me in the gym I’m sure you would agree with that statement, but sometimes I wonder if it could work better.

Phil,

Thanks for the “pep talk”. When I read you comment I felt like you were my fitness coach. So do you “skinny guys” really think I’m a meathead? You should know that I’m a software developer by day so I’m really more of a geek. Actually I’m fine with the meathead comment. My wife created this great stylized “MeatHead” logo on the inside of my weight-lifting belt. I enjoy reading your blog-- you and Alan make a good tag-team. I quoted some of your P90X comments to a co-worker of mine and he didn’t like what I had to say. I took that heat for you but if he starts in on me again I’m gonna send him your way.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Unknown said...

Kirk,

Thanks for taking the heat, I've had over a hundred people read the blog and either they are ashamed to comment if they've done P90X or something similar, or they just don't care so I don't get the enjoyment of hearing any defending statements. I usually spread the word on facebook so people feel necessary to comment there. Software developer huh? My roommate works for Rackspace an IT company based in San Antonio, heard of it?

PS you don't need to put the quotation marks around skinny, but i'm workin on it!

Kirk said...

Phil,

I just wanted to make sure you knew the skinny guy term was me quoting your words and not something I came up with on my own. :-) I've added links from my training blog to both Xplosive Performance and Power Alley Performance so I'll help spread the word as well. I'm gonna try to incorporate some of the proper core exercies you mentioned into my training. I could add a comment to your P90X post but it won't be the defending statement you are hoping for. And no, I've never heard of Rackspace. San Antonio huh? It snowed here in Michigan yesterday.