Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Checking In

I started this whole nutritional correction plan on January 23, so I thought now would be a good time to give a bit of an update.

I'm still sticking to my guns with the diet program; 4-5 meals a day, 2-3 servings of veggies with each meal (sometimes that comes in supplement form), a lean protein with each meal, and zero calorie beverages (you wouldn't believe how much green tea I've had this month). I've been hovering at 197 for the last 2-3 days so it's safe to say I've lost about 11 pounds this month. That seems like a huge amount of weight for somebody my size, but, as I said earlier, I think most of it may be water-related (some sources quote up to 75%). Now, before anyone can accuse me of doing this unhealthily, let me say that I'm not counting calories and I am definitely not starving myself. Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast
~20oz shake including: protein powder, banana, peanut butter, cottage cheese, Greens+, creatine, and cinnamon.
2 fish oil pills

Snacks
6-8 cups of green tea (over the course of the day)

Lunch
A butternut squash, chicken breast, onion, and apple concoction (It used to be a casserole, but apparently it is now a cassouperole)

Snack
Another 20oz. shake
Some pecans when I got home from work with a few spoonfuls of peanut butter

Dinner
A casserole including: bison, zucchini, onion, cottage cheese, and eggs (this was awesome and I had a double serving!)

So yeah, there you go, definitely not starving over here.

I've just completed the second week of working in a commercial gym, and I enjoy it so far. It's been a little slow, and I'm not really much of a salesman (I don't even really try...), but it is fun to hang out in the gym in the morning and get my workouts in early. I'm still looking for a few more clients to keep me busy and help me get a little more comfortable, but 2 is a good start.

Education-wise I'm looking forward to a National Strength and Conditioning Association Regional Conference in March, a few one-day seminars put on by the gym I work at, a Sports Nutrition diploma program I recently applied to, and I'm looking forward to attending one of Perform Better's 3-day Functional Training Summits over the summer. That's a lot on the plate, but it's awesome that so many things are so readily available in this field. All you have to do is want it.

6 comments:

Kirk said...

Alan,

If you don’t mind, I would like to add link to your blog on my training blog site so I can share your nuggets of information with my multitude of readers... all 1 of them. It’s really more of an online training log book but reading through your stuff has given me the itch to expand the content to more than just the exercises, sets, and reps I do in the gym.

Kirk

AlanJ40 said...

No problem, Kirk. I guess that means there will be some pressure to keep this thing updated! That's definitely not a bad thing though, so I'll do what I can.

Feel free to check out any of my links to the side. There are some good pieces of information in there from time to time as well. Oh, and if you want me to talk about anything specific just let me know. That sort of thing really helps keep me motivated.

Thanks,
Alan

Kirk said...

No pressure-- just keep doing what you’re doing. I did offer a topic suggestion on a follow-up comment to "Wake up and smell the stupid." where I said: “I would love to hear more of your thoughts on cardio and fat loss… perhaps a good topic for a future blog post?”

So yeah, I would love to offer up suggestions for future topics. I’ll start putting together a list. But for starters-- I’ve been reading a lot about changes you’ve been making with you diet and you could talk about how you manage to stick to those changes… or maybe how you don’t always do so well. :-)

For instance, I work in an office environment and it’s very common to have an assortment of cookies and donuts on display in the office kitchen to celebrate someone’s birthday or some other event the warrants co-workers to fatten themselves. I rarely indulge in these treats… in fact, I’ve managed to actually alter the way I view such things and people hate me for it. I wonder how others dedicated to fitness and healthy living (you) go about dealing with these types of food temptations. It’s unrealistic to think that anybody can stick to a diet (and you know what I mean by the term “diet”) all the time, but obviously some of us are better at it than others. So tell me how you do it and I’ll offer my brain-training techniques as well.

Kirk

AlanJ40 said...

Ha, you're right, I don't know what I was thinking when I asked for ideas! I will definitely put something on paper for the cardio/fat loss stuff. There is some great research out there we can point to.

Oh man, the diet issue is a big one... You should hear what I used to eat not 2 months ago. And, for some reason, I don't really have serious cravings. I'm not really understanding it yet, but I think I'm starting to realize where the mental shift happened... I'll put some thought into that one.

After looking at your stuff, are you looking to do any competing in the BB field? It looks like you're working pretty hard in the gym.

Kirk said...

i feel like I hijacked this post. e-mail me sometime... it might be a more effecient way for me to respond back and fill you in on my goals and such. plus, then i can send you that list of topics you're waiting for.

Kirk said...

To answer your question, at this time I’m not looking to compete in a bodybuilding competition. I have considered it and last fall I even toyed with the notion of entering one this spring, but now it’s spring time and it’s not going to happen this year. I question whether I have what it takes to follow through with the ultimate dieting, cardio, posing, and all of the other things that go along with competing. I love lifting weights and building lean muscle and I think I’ve gotten pretty good at both, but for now that’s probably as far as it’s going to go. But you never know...