Sunday, November 1, 2009

Classes Done... What's next?

I just checked the box to turn in my last exam for this short run of classes over the last 8 weeks. Four classes down, what's next?

Well, I have myself a seat on a plane to Boston, MA tomorrow morning where I'm going to meet with Eric Cressey of Cressey Performance. Eric is a young, and very well-respected, strength and conditioning coach with a number of publications under his belt. Magnificent Mobility, Maximum Strength, and his newest contribution, Assess and Correct are really what drew me. I have been training myself for a while, and you get to realizing that even though you may be good at training others (or telling them what to do, to phrase it differently), the hardest person to train is yourself. It's not about knowing what to do, it's that I'm just not very good at following my own directions! Cressey also has a focus on mobility and correctional movements that leads to the development of injury-free athletes. After spending the last few seasons working through pain, I really want to focus on doing the movements that will treat my body well and will not only develop new power and strength, but will do so while building my body up to prevent injury.

A quick testimonial I have that may be jumping the gun... I've been working through EC's mobility warm-ups from Maximum Strength and I already feel like my heel is feeling better during Ultimate. In the end, that is my goal. I just need to have a painfree season of Ultimate where I can train and perform my best on the field.

Next up, I'm looking at getting my NSCA-CPT certification prior to January 2010. I've done quite a bit of reading the last few months and I think I'm ready to take a shot at the test. I'll be ordering the practice exams to see where I'm at, and then really focus on the weak points over the next month. A lot of fitness ahead of me. On that front, hopefully this means I can pick up a few clients for myself and start to develop a reputation.

Speaking of all the lifting, I recently added gym mats to my garage set up. The mats were free and just about fill the whole garage floor. Now that I was able to sort of remodel things, the gym looks pretty awesome. I'll get some pictures and maybe a video up to show you how things look.

No comments: